Victim Criminal Injury Compensation

If you’ve been the victim of a crime that's left you injured, or with lost or damaged property, you can apply for compensation. Depending on the crime, there are two different ways you can seek compensation.


Criminal injuries compensation scheme

If you’ve been physically or mentally injured by a violent crime you can apply for compensation under the UK government's criminal injuries compensation scheme. This type of compensation can be awarded whether the offender has been caught or not.

Find out more and apply online. 


Court-awarded compensation

If an offender is convicted of a crime against you, the court may order them to pay you compensation. This could be for a range of reasons, such as:

  • personal injury
  • pain and suffering
  • losses from theft or damage to property
  • losses from fraud
  • losses from time off work
  • medical expenses
  • travel expenses 

The investigating officer in charge of your case will liaise with you about any compensation claims. They will give you a form, known as a MG19, at the appropriate point in the investigation for you to fill out and add all relevant claims.