Firearms licensing payment
Firearms licensing fees can be paid online using the options below.
Once you have successfully made an online payment, you will be sent an invoice reference number that you will need to enter on your application form, which can be accessed here. Enter your invoice reference number in the space provided for additional information on page 6 of the application form (or page 4 of the Variation Form).
- “Firearms Licensing Applications may only be progressed once a fully completed application has been received by the Joint Firearms Licensing Unit including any applicable fee.
- Applications may only be granted where the requirements of the Firearms Acts have been met.
- Where an application cannot be progressed, is withdrawn or a decision is made to refuse the application, the applicant will be contacted by the Firearms Licensing Unit and the application fee will be refunded.“
Firearms licence fees
Firearms certificates (Valid for five years)
- Grant of firearm certificate: £88.00
- Renewal of firearm certificate: £62.00
- Variation of a firearm certificate (other than when it is renewed at the same time) to increase the number of firearms to which the certificate relates: £20
- Replacement of a firearm certificate lost or destroyed: £4.00
- Grant of both firearms and shotgun certificates (co-term) £90
- Renewal of both firearm and shotgun certificates (co-term) £65
Shot gun certificates (Valid for five years)
- Grant of shot gun certificate: £79.50
- Renewal of shot gun certificate £49.00
- Replacement of shot gun certificate lost or destroyed: £4.00
Firearms dealers certificate (Valid for three years)
- Grant and renewal of firearms dealers certificate: £200
- Grant of a certificate of registration at additional place of business outside area where originally registered, including game fairs and exhibitions: £13
Overseas visitors permits (Normally issued for duration of visit)
- Firearm visitors permit: £20.00
- Shotgun visitors permit: £20.00
- Firearm visitors permit where 5 to 20 visitors are travelling as a group: £100
- Shotgun visitors permit where 5 to 20 visitors are travelling as a group: £100
Firearms licensing timescales
We have a target that the average time taken for the processing of the initial grant of any firearm or shotgun application, from receipt to issue, is to be 35 days.
At renewal holders will receive a reminder, and an application pack, 90 days before their certificates are due to expire. Our target is that 85% of all renewal applications will be completed before the existing certificate expires.
In addition, we aim to reduce the number of thefts of licensed firearms, which result from the negligence of the certificate holders. We will do this by increasing security awareness and standards in partnership with the shooting community.
Our target is to achieve a reduction in the number of thefts of licensed firearms.
We seek to provide an efficient and helpful service to applicants and holders of firearm and explosive authorities.
Our target is that 85% of our surveyed customers will be fully satisfied with our service