North Walsham man convicted of manslaughter | Norfolk Constabulary

You are here

North Walsham man convicted of manslaughter

A 42-year-old who killed a man in North Walsham following a dispute over a £10 drug debt has been found guilty of manslaughter.

Thomas Moore, also 42, was stabbed once in the neck during an argument with Matthew Constantinou over the cannabis debt in October last year.

Constantinou, of Antingham Drive, North Walsham, had denied murdering Moore, claiming self-defence and was today (11 May 2021) convicted by a jury at Norwich Crown Court of the lesser charge of manslaughter.

During the trial two-week trial the court heard how the incident unfolded on the evening of Friday 2 October 2020.

Prior to the argument, Moore had visited Constantinou’s address with his friend who was owed the money. Both men spoke with Constantinou’s mother, who answered door, and handed over £10 before asking them to leave.

During this time, Constantinou appeared armed with a baseball bat and chased both men from the house. Constantinou chased Moore on to Bacton Road where the argument happened and where the victim suffered a single stab wound to the neck.

Neighbours alerted police to the disturbance and officers arrived on scene to find Moore with a serious injury to his neck. He was given CPR by members of the public and later by officers and paramedics but was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after midnight on Saturday 3 October.

Following the incident, Constantinou returned home where he dialled 999 and stated he believed he’d seriously injured someone. Officers went to his home address and arrested him on suspicion of GBH. Constantinou was taken into custody at Aylsham Police Investigation Centre where he was further arrested for murder.

Detective Inspector Lewis Craske, from Norfolk and Suffolk’s Major Investigation Team, led the inquiry said: "This was a violent attack in which a man has needlessly lost his life over a £10 cannabis debt.

"Regardless of the catalyst for the argument, this case demonstrates that violence is not the answer. There are no winners in this case with lives on both sides affected forever.”

Constantinou was remanded in custody and will be sentenced on Thursday 20 May.