Man jailed for attempted murder and kidnap | Norfolk Constabulary

You are here

Man jailed for attempted murder and kidnap

Man jailed for attempted murder and kidnap

A man has been jailed for the attempted murder and kidnap of a woman in Kirby Cane earlier this year.

Christopher Crichton, aged 33 and of Park Street in Westcliff-on-Sea in Essex, was sentenced to life imprisonment, to serve a minimum of 15 years, at Norwich Crown Court on Friday 15 October after pleading guilty to the offences at a previous hearing.

Officers were called just after 8.40am on Monday 26 April 2021 to reports a woman, aged in her 20s, had been seen in distress in the Yarmouth Road area of Kirby Cane, near Bungay. The woman was then seen being driven away from the address.

At 11.20am, Suffolk Police received reports that a woman had been found with stab wounds in Levington Lane in Nacton village.

The court heard that Crichton assaulted her that morning but she had returned to the address over fears he would harm her dog. When she returned, Crichton repeatedly stabbed her in the leg and back on the driveway. He then dragged the victim into a car, stating he was taking her to hospital but instead he drove her to Nacton and abandoned her in a lay-by.

The victim was discovered by a member of the public and airlifted to Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridgeshire with serious injuries. She received hospital treatment for two weeks following the incident and continues to receive treatment whilst recovering from her injuries.

Crichton was arrested by police at Copdock Retail Park in Ipswich at 12.20pm and later charged.

Detective Inspector Tom Smith said: “Crichton is an incredibly dangerous individual and today’s sentencing will ensure he can’t be a threat to anyone else.

“I want to thank the victim in this case for the outstanding strength and resilience she has shown throughout this investigation. She has been incredibly brave and, along with the strong support of her family, I hope today’s result will help her move forward from what has been an incredibly traumatic ordeal.”