Men jailed for 'horrendous attack' | Norfolk Constabulary

You are here

Men jailed for 'horrendous attack'

Men Jailed
Three men have been jailed for a ‘horrendous’ attack on a man in his own home in Norwich.

Sebastian Barrows, aged 37 and of Clarendon Close in Great Yarmouth, Scott Williams, aged 39 and of Thurling Plain in Norwich, and Ian Starking, aged 38 and of Pottergate in Norwich, appeared at Norwich Crown Court today (Friday 22 November) after pleading guilty to grievous bodily harm at an earlier hearing.

The court heard how the three men had tied up the victim, a man in his 40s, and subjected him to a series of assaults over a four-hour period which included the use of broken wooden table legs.

Starking had befriended the victim and had been staying with him in the weeks leading up to the attack in Charlton Road in Norwich on Monday 1 April 2019.

At 3.30am Starking, Williams and Burrows were at the address with the victim when they started looking through the victim’s mobile phone before launching their sustained assault.

During the incident they also attempted to use a drill to drill into his foot and stole his phone, some keys tobacco and a lighter.

The victim was left with a fractured eye socket, a head injury and bruising which needed hospital treatment.

All three men were sentenced at Norwich Crown Court today. Williams was jailed for seven years and given an extended license for four years, Starking was sentenced to seven years in prison whilst Barrows was sentenced to 21 months in prison.

DC Jon Gouldson said: "This was a particularly horrendous and unprovoked offence perpetrated against a vulnerable victim who had done nothing but provide a roof over the heads of his eventual assailants.

"The jail terms handed down today will go some way to offering a sense of security to the victim, although there is no doubt the events of that day will stay with him for the rest of his life.

"The result today is also a reflection of the excellent work conducted by Norwich officers in the immediate aftermath of the incident which led to the recovery of much of the stolen property along with other key evidence that meant the defendants had no option but to plead guilty before a full trial.”