Father sentenced over baby death | Norfolk Constabulary

You are here

Father sentenced over baby death

A father has today (Wednesday 20 December) been sentenced after being convicted of the manslaughter of his six-month-old daughter.

Arunas Guzas, 42 and from King’s Lynn, denied the offence but was convicted by a jury following a two-week trial at Norwich Crown Court.

The charge related to the death of Milana Guzas who at the age of six months suffered a severe head injury on 26 February 2016. She was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn and later transferred to Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge, where despite significant efforts to save her, Milana sadly died on 2 March.

The court heard Milana, who suffered brain, retinal, rib and arm injuries, had been in the sole care of her father on 26 February when she became seriously unwell. She was taken to hospital and, based on initial observations from medical staff, a police investigation was launched and Guzas was arrested.

A post mortem examination concluded Milana died from a severe brain injury.

When questioned by police, Guzas said he had been at home with Milana; he was in bed and she was lying on his chest. Guzas was slipping in and out of sleep having worked night shifts and was woken suddenly by Milana crying. She was on the floor having fallen from the bed and after picking her up, Guzas confirmed he had gentle shaken her, to make her aware he was there. Milana began having difficulty breathing at which point Guzas attempted CPR.

Detectives from the Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team (MIT) charged Guzas, of Columbia Way, King’s Lynn, with manslaughter in March 2016.

Detective Chief Inspector Mike Brown, who led the investigation, said: "This was an extremely tragic investigation from the outset involving the premature death of baby girl. Her death was sadly inevitable given the extent of her injuries.

"Our primary concern throughout this enquiry has been to seek justice for Milana, which today’s result reflects. I would also like to offer my thanks to the medical staff who treated Milana and immediately recognised the seriousness of her condition."

Guzas was sentenced to a total of seven years and was ordered to serve at least half his sentence.