Hide Your Stuff
Campaign launched: 15 Dec 2014
Police in Norfolk are urging people not to give thieves an early Christmas present, as a new crime prevention video is launched on YouTube.
The video, called #HideYourStuff, aims to encourage motorists to think more about security by showing the speed and ease at which vehicles can be broken into.
Leaving valuable items on show in your car when it's unattended is like a winter wonderland for would-be thieves.
The minute-long clip shows an unattended, locked car, where various items, including a handbag, mobile phone and SAT NAV, have all been left on display.
A thief, played by PC Dave Block, is attracted to the vehicle by the SAT NAV, which is still stuck to the windscreen.
The thief checks he's not being watched and then gains access to the vehicle by forcing the front passenger door open easily and swiftly.
The steal is made in seconds and the thief is able to casually walk away from the scene of the crime.
C/Insp Chris Spinks from Norfolk & Suffolk Roads Policing, said motorists can help prevent becoming a victim of crime by taking simple steps.
He said “Nobody wants to be a victim of crime, especially at this time of the year. It only takes opportunist thieves a few seconds to peer into a vehicle and be tempted to steal if items are left on display, even a coat or jacket could attract them.
“I would encourage all motorists to keep valuables out of sight and ideally completely remove them from the vehicle if possible.
“The message also applies to shoppers leaving Christmas presents on display. Again, keep them out of sight or take with you if you are leaving your vehicle unattended.”
- Don’t leave anything on display in your car
- Take your belongings with you when you leave the car - if you can’t, lock them in the boot before you start your journey
- Fit an electronic immobiliser - this will prevent the car from starting
- Mechanical immobilisers, such as steering wheel locks, are a good alternative to electronic immobilisers
- Fit locking wheel nuts
- Get an alarm installed
- Consider marking all your valuables that you frequently take in your car
- Lock all doors and close windows and the sun roof every time you leave your car unattended
- If you have a garage, use it. If you don’t always try and park in a well-lit open place
- Always lock your car and garage.