Legal Services is an in-house team consisting of six lawyers and four support staff and provides a comprehensive legal service to the Chief Constable and his officers and staff on all matters of law. The department also advises officers and staff within the Norfolk and Suffolk Constabularies’ joint departments and commands.
The department’s main areas of business are:
- Operational legal advice (all aspects of policing)
- Civil Orders in the Magistrates Court
- Civil claims by members of the public
- Civil actions against the police (including Employment Tribunals and Judicial Reviews)
- Police Discipline
- Support services legal advice (Employment, commercial, policy, collaboration etc)
- Firearms Appeals
- Constitutional advice and support
The department is regulated by the Law Society and is based at Police Headquarters in Wymondham.
It should be noted that as an in-house department, our staff are not permitted to give legal advice to members of the public.