Two sentenced over death of Downham Market man | Norfolk Constabulary

You are here

Two sentenced over death of Downham Market man

Two men have today been sentenced following the death of a Downham Market man almost nine years ago.

Steven Louro, 43, and Lester Aisthorpe, 58, appeared at Norwich Crown Court after pleading guilty to offences for their part in the death of Jan Hogan in May 2010.

Louro, of South Lynn Plain, King’s Lynn, was sentenced to 18 years and seven months after pleading guilty to manslaughter and perverting the course of justice. He received a 15 year sentence for the manslaughter plea and three years, seven months for the perverting the course of justice plea.

Aisthorpe, of Basil Drive, Downham Market, received a three year, seven month prison sentence after admitting perverting the course of justice. 

The body of Jan Hogan was found in his flat in Basil Drive on 23 May 2010. The court heard how Louro had been drinking with Jan during the day and how he got Jan in a headlock, rendering him unconscious through suffocation. Louro then sought help from his friend, co-defendant Aisthorpe who lived in the same block of flats, in moving Jan’s body down the stairs and then covering up his subsequent death.  They placed a ligature around his neck in an attempt to stage a suicide.

An investigation was launched but no further action was taken due to insufficient evidence at that time. Following a review and recommendations made around further opportunities which could be exploited from the previous enquiry, the case was re-opened in 2017 and a new investigation commenced. 

This was carried out by the Joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team and consisted of a full forensic review and further lines of enquiry, which then led to both men being arrested in relation to the death in April 2018. Both men were released under investigation as detectives continued to gather evidence.  This then led to further arrests and charges in November 2018.

Temporary Detective Chief Inspector Stuart Chapman, said: “On the night of 23 May 2010, these two acted together in a callous manner attempting to stage a scene of suicide and cover up what Louro had done to Jan Hogan. They did this for their own benefit to avoid prosecution and have denied Jan’s family the truth of what happened for almost nine years.

“The death of Jan was re-investigated gathering further evidence allowing their re-arrests and charge. It uncovered the truth, and the nine years of their denial around Jan’s death, which they believed they had got away with.

“This has been such a devastating time for the family of Jan, who have waited so long for the truth and who I praise for their continued appeals and support and I am thankful to those who helped the police with this investigation to ensure justice has been done.”